Wizarding World English Ale and Cheese Soup
Our family enjoys soup and the Wizarding World English Ale and Cheese Soup sounded so good we couldn’t resist making a version for home. The resulting taste of the soup will depend heavily on the cheddar and ale that you select. The stronger the flavor of either, the stronger the flavor of your soup. We used a very sharp cheddar and a somewhat mild English ale. For our family, I will select a bit more mild cheddar cheese for the next time as it was a bit strong for our taste. It was however very good. We served it with a side salad and drop biscuits and I loved dipping my biscuits into the soup.
Pin for later!
English Ale and Cheese Soup Recipe
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tbsp. salted butter
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced carrot
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 1 small bay leaf
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle English ale
- 2½ cups low fat (1%) milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a skillet or microwave, until crisp; crumble and set aside.
- Me;t butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are translucent and softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes longer.
- Whisk in ale; stirring for about two minutes or until mixture is bubbling and thickened. Whisk in milk, chicken broth and dry mustard. Bring soup to simmer, stirring often so it doesn't scorch on bottom of pan.
- Lower the heat and add cheese a handful at a time; stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot, but do not let soup boil.
- Remove from heat, remove and discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon.
Recipe adapted from Cabot
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.