These Thanksgiving Sweet Potatoes recipe has been a family favorite since my kids were quite young. When my oldest was six years old, the school he attended held a potluck Thanksgiving and all the families brought a kid friendly dish to share. One of the families brought this sweet potato recipe. They opted not to have the mini marshmallows and it was yummy that way as well. This recipe is very simple, only a few ingredients, and if you leave off the marshmallows, quite healthy. It is, of course, even more delicious with those marshmallows and who can resist the tradition of adding them for your Thanksgiving dinner. We’ve made these for many dinners over the years and the recipe has been requested often. This is also a great option to make ahead and just do a quick warm up just before dinner which helps free up some valuable oven space.
Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Recipe
- 4-5 yams or sweet potatoes, baked
- 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- zest from 1-2 oranges (the ones used for juicing)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey, to taste
- mini marshmallows, if desired
- Wash the potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Scoop the potatoes out of the skins into a bowl and mash together. Add the orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, cinnamon and honey and mix well. Pour into a pie dish.
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until marshmallows start to brown. Serve immediately.
By Simply Inspired Meals
Adapted from recipe received at school potluck
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.