Slytherin Snake Sausage Rolls
For 2018, I am starting something new. Each month I will showcase a Theme of the Month Menu. This month I am putting together a Harry Potter Hogwarts inspired tea party. The main inspiration comes from the colors of the houses, with the exception of Slytherin, where I am using the house symbol, a snake, as my inspiration for Slytherin Snake Sausage Rolls.
To create the snake sausage rolls, first make the bread dough. I am using a soft dough that is easy to work with and holds the filling very well. The filling is fairly plain, focusing on the flavors of the sausage you select. We found these very tasty and something we will repeat. My son would like these to be a regular snake for when he gets home from school.
Slytherin Snake Sausage Rolls Recipe
- 1 slice onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sausage meat
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 3/4 cup + 2 to 4 tbsp. lukewarm water, enough to make a soft, smooth dough
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. water
- Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for 60 minutes, until it's nearly doubled in bulk.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log, cover the balls, and allow them to rest for 15 minutes.
- In a frying pan, gently cook the onion in the vegetable oil until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat to a large mixing bowl and add the onion, 2 eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- On a lightly greased or floured work surface, roll one piece of dough into a 5" square. Spoon 1/8th of the filling onto the dough. Roll the dough into a log then shape into a snake (like an "S") ensuring the seams are folded and closed. Place the seam side down on the baking sheet. Using your knife or pastry scraper, mark eyes on the head of the snake.
- Repeat until all dough and filling is used.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place rolls on parchment lined baking sheet and cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. The center should register 190°F on a digital thermometer.
- Remove the snakes from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.