For 2018, I am starting something new. Each month I will showcase a Theme of the Month Menu. This month I am putting together a Harry Potter Hogwarts inspired tea party. The main inspiration comes from the colors of the houses, with the exception of Slytherin, where I am using the house symbol, a snake, as my inspiration for Slytherin Snake Sausage Rolls.
To create the snake sausage rolls, first make the bread dough. I am using a soft dough that is easy to work with and holds the filling very well. The filling is fairly plain, focusing on the flavors of the sausage you select. We found these very tasty and something we will repeat. My son would like these to be a regular snake for when he gets home from school. Have some fun pulling the dough and shaping the snakes. They don’t have to be perfect, but they should slither and give you a sense of being a snake. Be sure to seal all the places the dough comes together by using a bit of water to make the dough stick together. This will prevent the fillings from leaking out while cooking. Once these are ready, you can give each guest their own “snake” or cut them into smaller pieces for serving.
Slytherin Snake Sausage Rolls Recipe
- 1 slice onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sausage meat
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 3/4 cup + 2 to 4 tbsp. lukewarm water, enough to make a soft, smooth dough
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. water
- Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for 60 minutes, until it's nearly doubled in bulk.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log, cover the balls, and allow them to rest for 15 minutes.
- In a frying pan, gently cook the onion in the vegetable oil until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat to a large mixing bowl and add the onion, 2 eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- On a lightly greased or floured work surface, roll one piece of dough into a 5" square. Spoon 1/8th of the filling onto the dough. Roll the dough into a log then shape into a snake (like an "S") ensuring the seams are folded and closed. Place the seam side down on the baking sheet. Using your knife or pastry scraper, mark eyes on the head of the snake.
- Repeat until all dough and filling is used.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place rolls on parchment lined baking sheet and cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. The center should register 190°F on a digital thermometer.
- Remove the snakes from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1125Total Fat: 65gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 258mgSodium: 2126mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 37g
Pin for later!
More Harry Potter Tea Party Recipes!
Be sure to check out the other recipes that are part of the Harry Potter Hogwarts Tea Party menu.
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.