During the summer, our stores sometimes offer small bags of assorted potatoes and I just couldn’t resist using them. My sister in law makes the most amazing potato salad. She shared with me the general ingredients but she doesn’t have a recipe, she just wings it. A sign of a good cook I think! I used her guidance and created this recipe and my husband and I really liked it. I hope you will enjoy it as well. I came up with this Red, White and Blue Potato Salad.
This is a perfect potluck dish to bring to summer barbecues. It’s also perfect for patriotic celebrations such as Memorial Day or Independence Day/Fourth of July. Just make this the day before and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to go. It’s fun to be able to add red, white and blue foods to the buffet table!
Red, White and Blue Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds round assorted red, white and blue potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. sweet relish
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook covered 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into cubes.
- White potatoes are cooking, place 4 eggs in a saucepan and cover with water at least 1 inch above the eggs. Cover and bring to a boil, then move off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain water and cover eggs with ice cold water until completely cooled. Peel and chop eggs to add to the salad.
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, relish, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder in large glass bowl.
- Add potatoes, celery and green onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Sprinkle with additional paprika. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill. Store covered in refrigerator.
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.