Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies are formed by rolling sheets of red and white sugar dough together to make a log of spirals. They are cooled in the refrigerator and cut when desired to bake beautiful, flavorful and fun Christmas cookies.
#ChristmasCookies Week is a sponsored event and Adams Extract is sponsoring today’s post. In exchange for sharing this recipe, I received vanilla and almond extract and food coloring. All thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and opinions contained within this post are solely my own and not necessarily that of the sponsor.
Christmas Cookies Week
I would like to thank our sponsor, Adams Extracts, for sending us vanilla and almond extract and food coloring for us to use in our recipes. I am using the food coloring and vanilla extract in these cookies.
Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Red food color
Mix powdered sugar, margarine, egg and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in flour and salt and combine. Divide dough in half (I used a scale). Stir in food color to one half of the dough.
Roll white dough into a rectangle shape, 12 x 6 ½ inches, on parchment paper. Shape the red dough the same. Place the red dough on top of the white dough and press together with the rolling pin. Roll the two doughs together into a log using the parchment paper. This will form the spiral/pinwheel pattern. Roll the dough in sprinkles. Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices from the roll using a sharp knife. Place about 1 inch apart on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from the cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.
Adapeted from Betty Crocker’s New Christmas Cookbook.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Pin for later!
Christmas Cookies Week
Friday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Bonbon Cookies by That Recipe
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies by West Via Midwest
- Chocolate Espresso Icebox Cookies by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Chocolate-Dipped Orange Logs by Eat Move Make
- Christmas Magic Bars by Devour Dinner
- Christmas Monster Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies by Blogghetti
- Frosted Eggnog Cookie Bars by Family Around the Table
- Grinch Heart Thumbprint Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Holiday Everything Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Honey Walnut Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Kahlua Mudslide Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Lavender Snickerdoodles by Palatable Pastime
- Linzer Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Little Monster Cookie Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Maple Sugar Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mocha Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Making Miracles
- Mocha Sandies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Bark Surprise Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals (this recipe)
- Poppy Seed Shortbread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sadie’s Double Pecan Butter Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Small Batch Pecan Fingers by Art of Natural Living
- Soft & Chewy Molasses Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Spiced Holiday Cutouts by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Toasted Pecan Snowball Cookie Recipe by Swirls of Flavor
- White Chocolate Dipped Ginger Molasses Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.