One of my son’s favorite holiday candies is Peppermint Bark. We’ve tried a number of versions of peppermint bark over the years and I’ve discovered his favorite combination is when the candy is half peppermint vanilla candy with candy canes and half chocolate. I decided to make some at home specifically to fit his taste. It turned out great. For this go around, I made half using a snowflake candy mold and half using a Darth Vader candy mold as we are planning to see the new Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and taking these as a treat into the theater.
This peppermint bark is very easy to make and a beautiful addition to your Christmas treats. This also makes a wonderful gift for your neighbors or to bring into the office. To make the peppermint bark, you will melt the red and white candy melts together and stir to combine. I decided I liked the lighter red as opposed to using white as it felt festive plus also went really well inside the Darth Vader helmet representing the dark side of the force. Just add a drop or two of the peppermint flavoring (I used Wilton flavoring but peppermint oil or extract will also work) as it is very strong and a little goes a long way. Also, add the crushed candy cane and mix it together well. Spoon the candy into the molds. Use the end of the spoon or a knife to make sure it gets into all the little points of the snowflake. Freeze this and when that is solid, add the dark chocolate to the bottom of the snowflake. Once this is set your candy is ready. For Darth Vader, I spooned the dark chocolate into the mold first and froze that before putting the peppermint candy into the middle.
Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 3/4 cup Candy Melts, Red
- 1/4 cup Candy Melts, White
- 1 drop Peppermint Candy Flavoring
- 1/4 cup Candy Canes, crushed
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Melt the Red and White Candy Melts at 50% power in the microwave on 30 seconds intervals. Stir after each 30 second and repeat until the candy is completely melted.
- Add one drop of peppermint candy flavoring and the crushed candy canes and stir together until combined.
- Spoon candy into candy molds about half way up the mold. Freeze for approximately 10 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips at 50% power in the microwave on 30 seconds intervals. Stir after each 30 second and repeat until the candy is completely melted.
- Take the candy molds out of the freezer and spoon the dark chocolate over the top of the peppermint candy.
- Freeze for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove candy from the molds and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 0g
Pin for later!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.