If you visit Disneyland, the Mickey Mouse Beignets are a must have dessert. These little fried doughnuts are light, airy and scrumptious. If you buy them at the Mint Julep Bar, they come in a bag and are covered in powdered sugar. Grab a seat a the next door French Market and enjoy with your family and friends right out of the bag while they are still warm. Another option is to order these at Cafe Orleans. They come covered in powdered sugar, but you will also get two dipping sauces. The two sauces are Fruit Coulis and Vanilla Bean Crème Anglaise. These are both absolutely delicious with the beignets and I love to have both on each bite!
The beignets are easy to make. It is a yeast dough, but don’t let that intimidate you. First, you start by blooming the yeast by adding it to warm water. Next you will mix your dough ingredients together, I use a stand mixer. Add the yeast and water and mix together with a dough hook until the dough is combined, smooth and pulls away from the edge of the bowl. Cover the dough and let it rise. The next step involves rolling the dough out and cutting with the Mickey shaped cookie cutter. The dough wants to bounce back when being rolled, if needed, give it a few minutes rest and continue rolling to get the dough to the desired thickness. Cut the Mickey Mouse beignets and place on a cookie sheet. Cover and let rise.
When the rise time is nearing the end, prepare your fryer by adding the oil and heating. Once the fryer is ready, cook the beignets in batches. Don’t add too many at once or your oil will cook and the beignets will not cook correctly. When they are golden brown, remove them from the fryer and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Once they are drained, place on a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Mickey Mouse Beignets Recipe
- 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105º)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets into 2 x 3-inch pieces or cut with Mickey shaped cookie cutter. Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour enough oil into a deep-sided pot until it reaches 2 inches up sides; heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- Lightly press beignets to flatten slightly.
- Add a few beignets to oil; fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once.
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Dust with a generous amount of confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Recipe from Disney Parks Blog
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.