Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Loaded Baked Potato Soup is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. This is also a quick weeknight dinner using ingredients we usually have on hand. This is a favorite for us to order at the Carnation Cafe when visiting Disneyland.
We try to plan for two meals in the park so we can maximize our time available for the attractions and with this as one of our meals, we feel full and satisfied and not looking to snack between meals. The soup is rich, and loaded with amazing bacon, cheese, chives and sour cream. It’s sinful, delicious and truly a meal.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
The soup is easy to make. In a stockpot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Once it is cool, crumble the bacon. You will use this later.
Cook the onions, carrots and celery in the bacon fat in the stockpot until translucent. Add the chopped potatoes and cook for another four minutes. Whisk in the flour and stir constantly until the mixture has thickened. Add the chicken stock and half of the crumbled bacon. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Don’t season too much, you can always add more later if you need. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Add whipping cream and simmer another 5 minutes. You can determine how thick your soup is by adding water or stock if needed. The soup should be creamy and relatively thick. Garnish, serve and enjoy!
- 1 lb bacon roughly chopped
- 1 slice yellow onion diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- ¾ cup celery diced
- 4 large russet potatoes baked, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese optional, shredded for topping
- ½ cup Monterrey jack cheese optional, shredded for topping
- ½ cup sour cream optional, for topping
- ½ cup chives optional, chopped for topping
- In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency. Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown. Wash and prick potatoes with a fork. Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 1 hour on a baking sheet. Inspired by Disneyland's Carnation Cafe. Adapted from Disney Parks Blog
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pin for later!
If you are still hungry after your soup, there is always Carnation Cafe’s Lemon Meringue Pie to finish off your meal. Give this recipe a try and if you love lemon, I promise it won’t disappoint you.
Carnation Cafe recipes
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.