Lemon Pound Cake
Winter is lemon season. We just harvested a whole bunch of lemons off our bushes in the backyard and just had to make some lemon goodies. The first treat we came up with is a family favorite, Lemon Pound Cake! We love our lemon desserts super lemony, with extra lemon flavor, so you can really taste that sour lemon coming through. We find many desserts lacking in real lemon flavor, but this one won’t disappoint!
The lemon syrup adds an increased lemon punch to the cake. With any leftover you may have, you can just add it to the individual slices if you have lemon lovers who want even more flavor!
Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
Lemon Pound Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening or coconut oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon extract
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- lemon juice
Lemon pound cake
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk.
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar and lemon zest, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition just until blended. Stir in lemon extract.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Heat sugar until dissolved.
- Strain to remove lemon zest until smooth.
- Pour over lemon pound cake until it is soaked. You may not need the entire amount.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over completely cooled cake.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
Nordic Ware Pro Cast Original Bundt Pan, 12 Cup
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Microplane 40020 Zester Grater Made in USA Stainless Steel Blade for Zesting Citrus and Grating Cheese - Plastic Handle - Black
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pin for later!Yum
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.