This month’s #ImprovCookingChallenge was to create a dish with bacon and onions. My family loves baked potatoes and Potatoes Au Gratin, so I came up with a recipe that is somewhere in between both, Irish Cheese and Bacon Potatoes. This is similar to an Au Gratin as it’s prepared in a pan with sliced potatoes, but it doesn’t have the rich, cream sauce, which I wanted to avoid. I cannot go so far as to say this is a light or healthy dish, but a bit lighter than an Au Gratin would be. We loved this and ate it with a nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream and it was fabulous. I definitely will be making this a lot in the future.
Irish Cheese and Bacon Potatoes Recipe
- 1½ lb russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook and crumble the bacon. Shred the cheese, Slice the onion.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, convection bake preferred.
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based frying pan that is about 8 in. in diameter and about 2 in. deep. Remove from the heat and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes.
- Add a layer of onions and bacon over the potatoes and top with a scattering of grated cheese, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. Continue these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Place pan into the oven for 45 minutes, until potatoes are browned and cooked through when pierced with a sharp knife.
- To serve cut into slices, straight from the pan.
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.