This is the best Homemade Lemon Cake. It is moist, fluffy, and full of flavor. Better than a box mix!
Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I may have received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts!
Friday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Creamy Lemon Smoothie Recipe by Blogghetti
- Dragonfruit Lemonade by Magical Ingredients
- Grilled Chicken Piccata by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Lemon Herb Flatbread by That Recipe
- Gluten Free Lemon Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Lemon Cake by Simply Inspired Meals (this recipe)
- Ina Garten’s Lemon Chicken by Jen Around The World
- Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Crumb Muffins with Lemon Glaze by An Affair From The Heart
- Lemon Ice Cream by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Pasta by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls by Fresh April Flours
- Lemon Poppy Seed Thumb Print Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake by Home Cooked Harvest
- Lemon Tarragon Salmon by Art Of Natural Living
- Lemon Tea Bread by The Freshman Cook
- Lemony Shrimp Pasta by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Meyer Lemon Vanilla Shortbread Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Oven Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken and Gnocchi by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Rosemary Watermelon Lemonade by The Spiffy Cookie
Homemade Lemon Cake Recipe
- 10 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (juice is for the frosting)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole-fat buttermilk
Lemon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using baking spray, coat two 9-inch round cake pans. Cut out parchment paper circles to fit inside the bottom of the pan. To get a circle that will fit your pan, trace the bottom of your pan onto the parchment.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, oil, lemon zest, vanilla extract, lemon extract and beat well to combine.
- Scrape the bowl again. Turn the mixer back on low and alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk until both are well combined. Once the batter is smooth, turn the mixer off.
- Pour the batter evenly into the two prepared pans. Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Check to ensure the cake is done. Insert a toothpick into the center and if it is clean, remove the cake from the oven. If batter comes out on the toothpick, bake for another five minutes and check again.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for 10 minutes, then flip them out onto a cooling rack and remove the parchment paper. Cool completely before applying simple syrup and frosting.
Lemon Simple Syrup
- Combine the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Prepare the frosting just before you plan to frost the cake.
- Place the softened butter in a clean stand mixer bowl and beat until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the buttermilk and lemon juice. Turn the mixer on low and mix until combined. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating each time to incorporate.
- Once the sugar has been incorporated, turn the mixer up and beat until smooth.
- If the frosting is not yet thick enough, add a bit more powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and repeat beating until smooth and the consistency you are looking for to frost the cake.
Assemble the Cake
- Brush each cake layer with lemon simple syrup.
- Set one cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand. Add frosting to the top of the cake layer. Frost evenly to the edges.
- Set the second cake on top of the frosting, being careful to center the cake. Gently press the cake a little to level the top.
- Spoon the frosting on the cake and using a spatula frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Add sprinkles around the top of the cake if desired.
- Cover and keep at room temperature for up to 4 days.
If desired, the frosted cake can be refrigerated for up to a week. It is recommended not to add sprinkles when planning to refrigerate. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1396Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 285gFiber: 1gSugar: 262gProtein: 5g
If you love lemon recipes, you will enjoy these!
Check out the amazing prizes you can win in our #LemonWeek Giveaway!
Prize #1: Rodelle Prize Pack
Rodelle Prize Pack includes:
- 2 count Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Beans
- 2oz Almond Extract
- 4oz Natural Baker’s Extract
- 4oz Vanilla Paste
- 8oz Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 25oz Organic Baking Cocoa
Prize #2: La Tourangelle Prize Pack
La Tourangelle Prize Pack includes:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Roasted Walnut Oil
- Regenerative Sunflower Oil
- 4oz Vanilla Paste
- Fleur de Sel Almond Butter
Terms and conditions: This #LemonWeek is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle which starts 5/23/2022 and ends 6/3/2022 at 11:59pm ET. Enter to win a prize pack from Rodelle or La Tourangelle that include baking and cooking ingredients. This giveaway is open to anyone 18 years or older in the United States. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Two (2) winners will be selected and sent prize packages directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #LemonWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #LemonWeek posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Pin for later!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.