Holiday Spinach Pecan Salad
This month’s Food ‘n Flix Challenge is the movie Clueless. The main character in the movie, Char, is constantly trying to help her father eat healthy. She often will make him or bring him a salad and makes sure that he eats it for dinner. Given her focus on eating healthy I was inspired to post the Holiday Spinach Pecan Salad recipe that I really love. This one is so yummy that I don’t think Char would have to twist her dad’s arm to get him to eat it. It’s full of candied pecans, blue cheese, apples and a light but yummy vinaigrette dressing.
Clueless is a fun movie from the 90’s full of “trendy” fashion from the time and catch phrases such as “As If” or “Whatever”. It makes me giggle to watch and ultimately, we do actually like the characters who at first seem incredibly shallow. It’s a classic love story in that the last person the main character thought she would be interested in turns out to be a perfect match. I encourage you to watch the movie if you like romantic comedies. It is based on Jane Austen’s Emma.
Holiday Spinach Pecan Salad Recipe
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- ½ cup pecan halves
- 7 oz. baby spinach, washed
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Melt butter and sugar in a small skillet over low heat, stirring constantly. Add pecan halves; cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning to coat. Remove coated pecans from skillet, and cool on parchment or wax paper.
- Toss spinach, apple, cheese, and pecans in a serving bowl. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; drizzle over salad, tossing gently to coat.
- You can substitute the apple of your choice, whatever looks best in the market!
If you don’t have time to join us this month, but would like to start up in the new year, pick up a copy of Wreck It Ralph since that is January’s flick pick as chosen by our next hostess, Amy at Amy’s Cooking Adventures.
I am also sharing this with the Fandom Foodies #JaneAustenBites link-up, right here at All Roads Lead to the Kitchen!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.