Hitchhiking Ghosts Chocolate Whoopee Pie are inspired by Disneyland Haunted Mansion Afternoon Tea at the Disneyland Hotel. Back in 2019, Disneyland was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Haunted Mansion and as part of the celebration they had a special tea at Steakhouse 55. The sweets portion of the tea included two different chocolate covered strawberries, a red velvet cake pop and a Madam Leota inspired panna cotta. They all sound yummy and I may try to make a few more of those delicious recipes and maybe even host my own Haunted Mansion tea party.
I made these a bit larger than what you want at a tea party, but you can adjust the size by using a smaller cookie scoop when putting the batter on the cookie sheets. You will also get many more of these little yummy cakes with the smaller size. The cakes are easy and quick to make by using a cake mix as a starting point. The filling is also easy to whip up. I found the Hitchhiking Ghosts picture I used to have the ghosts riding in my doom buggy from the Disney Parks Blog.
Haunted Mansion Recipes
Since the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides at Disneyland, I have created a number of recipes inspired by both the ride and movie. I have a dinner menu which includes the Haunted Mansion Black Bean Dip as a starter, Haunted Mansion Fruit Salad, Haunted Mansion Spider Bread, Haunted Mansion Ribs and Sausages and the Haunted Mansion cocktail, Essence of Death. To finish off the meal, there is the Haunted Mansion Ear Hat Cake. These whoopie pies would make a fine finish to the meal as well.
Hitchhiking Ghosts Chocolate Whoopee Pie Recipe
- 1 (15.25- to 16.50-ounce) package Devil's food cake mix with pudding
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/3 cups Marshmallow creme
- 1/4 tsp. salt dissolved in 1 tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- purple food coloring
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate
- Using a hand mixer, combine cake mix, melted butter, water and eggs in bowl; beat at medium speed until smooth. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Drop batter by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls using a cookie scoop, 2 inches apart, onto parchment-lined, lightly greased or non stick cookie sheets.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack immediately so they don't continue to cook. Let cool completely.
- Combine the shortening, sugar and marshmallow creme in a mixing bowl and beat until fully combined.
- Dissolve the salt in the water, and add it to the marshmallow mixture. Add the vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Add purple food color and mix until all the filling is a nice shade of purple.
- Cut the bottom third off one whoopie pie. Insert a toothpick and poke into the back of a full cake round. This will create the back of the doombuggy.
- Spread the flat side of half the cakes with the marshmallow filling.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small baggie. Cut the tip of the baggie off. Pipe the doom buggy handle bars on parchment paper. Wait until they fully dry and set. Place one handle bar on each doom buggy whoopie pie.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
LorAnn Purple Liquid Food Coloring, 1 Ounce Bottle
Nordic Ware Prep & Serve Mixing Bowl Set, 4-pc, Set of 4, Coastal Colors
USA Pan Half Sheet Bakeable Nonstick Cooling Rack, Pan, Metal
GoodCook Touch Toothpick Dispenser, 200 Count, Red, White, and Clear
Anolon Advanced Nonstick Bakeware with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheet / Baking Sheet - 11 Inch x 17 Inch, Gray
Wilton Stainless Steel Cookie Scoop, Silver
Cuisinart HM-50 Power Advantage 5-Speed Hand Mixer, White
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 614Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 562mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 46gProtein: 5g
Pin for later!
Today’s #Choctoberfest Recipes
#Choctoberfest 2020 Giveaway
#Choctoberfest is our annual celebration of chocolate recipes, now in its 6th year. I’ve teamed up with some talented food bloggers to share dozens of milk, dark, and white chocolate dishes for this year’s virtual event. Plus, we’ve pooled our resources to bring you an exciting giveaway you don’t want to miss!
One lucky winner will receive a KitchenAid mixer – or if you already have a mixer you can instead opt to receive a KitchenAid gift card to purchase your choice of attachments or other kitchen tools. To enter, simply follow the directions here:a Rafflecopter giveaway The fine print: Open worldwide to entrants who are 18+ (except where prohibited). Winner will receive a KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer or the equivalent in a gift card. Giveaway ends on October 16 at 11:59 PM Eastern. This giveaway is not sponsored by KitchenAid, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, or any other third party sites. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. See terms & conditions for more information.
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.