This month’s #BakingBloggers theme is Gingerbread. Our family has been building gingerbread houses for years. You can read all about our tradition here: Gingerbread Cookies – Our Family Tradition! Another treat I really enjoy is Gingersnap Cookies, so I chose that for this challenge.
Gingersnap cookies are similar to gingerbread cookies in that they contain molasses, ginger and spices such as cinnamon and cloves. These gingersnaps are a little lighter on the molasses flavor and are drop cookies instead of roll and cut. I appreciate the simplicity of a drop cookie and it’s a great way to have those wonderful smells through your house for the holidays. These cookies can be eaten or turned into crumbs for a fabulous pie crust, perfect for my Pumpkin Cream Pie.
- Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Glaze by Sneha’s Recipe
- Ginger Cream Sandwich Cake by Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
- Gingerbread Madeleines by Caroline’s Cooking
- Gingerbread Men by Cook with Renu
- Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Gingersnap Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Louisiana Syrup Cake (Cajun Gingerbread) by Palatable Pastime
- Russian Pryanik Gingerbread by Pandemonium Noshery
- Orange Cranberry Gingerbread by Food Lust People Love
- Piernik by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Poussins aux Pain d’Epices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Gingersnap Cookies Recipes
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Course sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets with shortening or cooking spray, or line with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients except course sugar.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Dip into coarse sugar. On cookie sheets, place balls about 3 inches apart.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack.
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Pin for later!
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.