This month’s #BakingBloggers theme is Gingerbread. Our family has been building gingerbread houses for years. You can read all about our tradition here: Gingerbread Cookies – Our Family Tradition! Another treat I really enjoy is Gingersnap Cookies, so I chose that for this challenge.
Gingersnap cookies are similar to gingerbread cookies in that they contain molasses, ginger and spices such as cinnamon and cloves. These gingersnaps are a little lighter on the molasses flavor and are drop cookies instead of roll and cut. I appreciate the simplicity of a drop cookie and it’s a great way to have those wonderful smells through your house for the holidays. These cookies can be eaten or turned into crumbs for a fabulous pie crust, perfect for my Pumpkin Cream Pie.
- Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Glaze by Sneha’s Recipe
- Ginger Cream Sandwich Cake by Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
- Gingerbread Madeleines by Caroline’s Cooking
- Gingerbread Men by Cook with Renu
- Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Gingersnap Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Louisiana Syrup Cake (Cajun Gingerbread) by Palatable Pastime
- Russian Pryanik Gingerbread by Pandemonium Noshery
- Orange Cranberry Gingerbread by Food Lust People Love
- Piernik by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Poussins aux Pain d’Epices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Gingersnap Cookies Recipes
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Course sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets with shortening or cooking spray, or line with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients except course sugar.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Dip into coarse sugar. On cookie sheets, place balls about 3 inches apart.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack.
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Pin for later!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.