This month’s Fantastical Food Fight theme is Gingerbread. We could make any form of gingerbread including cookies, cake, muffins, pancakes or other gingerbread recipes. I selected Gingerbread Scones as my family loves scones and I thought this would make a great holiday breakfast.
I found this recipe on Better Homes and Gardens. I liked the idea of being able to make a mix that you could package as gifts for friends and family. I also liked that this recipe was a little lighter on the molasses as that flavor can get a bit strong. The scones were light and had a good gingerbread spice flavor. I found them just a tad dry so I would add a little lemon curd next time. I found the dough to be quite wet so instead of cutting them ahead, I cut after they were finished baking. This will make for a great holiday weekend breakfast or as a gift!
Gingerbread Scones Recipe
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shortening
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, soda, cloves, and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- For each gift, measure about 1-3/4 cups of the mixture into a self-sealing plastic bag or airtight container. Seal bags or containers. Include recipe directions for scones with each gift.
- Pour gingerbread mix from gift bag or container into a medium bowl. Make a well in center of dry mixture. Combine 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 tablespoon molasses; add to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Form dough into a 6 inch circle on a prepared baking sheet (parchment or silicone baking mat). Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Serve warm.
- Each batch makes 6 scones.
Recipe from BHG
Pin for later!
You may also enjoy Gingerbread Cookies!
Our gingerbread cookies are amazing and if you enjoy gingerbread flavor, you owe it to yourself to give these a try!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.