This month’s Fandom Foodies theme is Game of Thrones. This is one of my favorite groups to join in with as it’s full of very talented bloggers who are focused on various fandoms and I just love what they come up with. I’ll admit that I’m relatively new to Game of Thrones. I know it doesn’t seem possible. I’ve watched the first season and need to get all caught up. Given I’m new, I decided to make a recipe from the beginning of the series, Game of Thrones Lemon Cakes. They are based on a favorite of Sansa. Sansa is the daughter of Stark and comes from Winterfell. I imagine lemons are not common there and that is probably why it’s a favorite. Give these a try, they may become your favorite as well.
Game of Thrones Lemon Cakes Recipe
The lemon cakes are quite easy to make but do take a little time. You start by making candied lemon peels. While this is quick, you need to let them sit and dry for 24 hours. If you use your oven or dehydrator, I think you could cut this down to 8 hours.
Once the candied lemon peels are ready, you can start making the batter for the cake. You begin by mixing your wet ingredients together with a whisk. Use a zester to zest your lemon into the wet ingredients then add the juice from the lemon as well. Then you will add the dry ingredients and mix well, with the last addition being the cooled melted butter. Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray, put one candied lemon peel in each cavity, then take your cookie or ice cream scoop, and spoon the mixture into your muffin tin. Test the cakes are done with a toothpick or cake tester. When done, turn them out onto a baking sheet covered with parchment. Let them cool a few minutes and then they are ready to be served. Pour a little lemon syrup over each cake for even stronger lemon flavor. You can also use your lemon syrup to flavor ice tea or water!
Candied Lemons and Lemon Simple Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 lemons
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Zest & juice of 2 lemons
Candied Lemons and Lemon Simple Syrup
- Make the candied lemons and simple syrup about 24 hours before starting the cakes.
- Slice lemons into 12 thin circles.
- In a sauce pot, simmer water and sugar. Place the lemon slices in the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the slices from the sauce pot and dry overnight on greased parchment paper.
- Continue to heat the lemon juice, water and sugar for 10 minutes to make lemon simple syrup.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease or cooking spray a muffin tin and then place one candied lemon slice in each muffin cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, yolk, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and yogurt.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the wet ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Pour the cooled melted butter into the batter and stir to combine.
- Scoop the batter into each muffin cup and fill about three quarters full. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and immediately flip onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tray and then remove.
- Pour the lemon syrup over the lemon cakes before serving if desired.
Meyer lemons are preferred for this recipe as they are a little smaller and sweeter than other lemons.
Lemon simple syrup can be used to flavor ice tea or water.
Adapted from Rosanna Pansino
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g
Pin for later!
Fandom Foodies is a group of geeky recipe bloggers that hosts themed monthly link-ups. This month The Gluttonous Geek is hosting Game of Thrones inspired recipes. To read about how to join the fun, please see the description of the event here plus it is also where you will get to see all the fabulous recipe ideas. Get ready to throw your own Game of Thrones viewing party!
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.