I recently joined the Great British Baking Show Bake-Along Challenge group. This is a new group that will challenge us to make a recipe inspired by the Great British Bake Off show. We are watching Season 5 on Netflix. For cake week, we were asked to make a Fruity Cake, made from scratch. I decided on a Fruit Topped Chocolate Sponge Cake.
I must admit, this show intimidates me. The participants are incredibly talented, I’m in awe of every one of them. In addition, cake usually is a challenge for me. But I was determined I could try a cake and be successful. I followed the directions for the cake very carefully. This recipe for Fruit Topped Chocolate Sponge Cake makes one layer cake and then is topped with fruit. I liked that it was relatively small so we didn’t have as much left over and also just in case it was a mess. This one turned out yummy and beautiful. This is definitely a cake worth repeating.
Fruit Topped Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large Egg yolk only, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled, cut in half
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch, cut in half
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 (10-ounce) jar apple jelly, melted
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Place pan on baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine powdered sugar, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla in bowl. Beat at high speed 5-8 minutes or until mixture is very thick and double in volume. (Mixture should be light yellow and consistency of soft whipped cream.)
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt in another bowl. Gently stir flour mixture into egg mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, just until flour mixture is combined. Gently stir melted butter into batter.
- Gently spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To serve, drizzle melted apple jelly over fruit to cover and then decoratively arrange fresh fruit on top of cake.
Pin for later!
I’m joining the Pinterest Challenge for October, hosted by My Pinterventures. Each month we are challenged to not just pin amazing ideas on Pinterest, but to actually make them happen! My inspiration came from this PIN. To join next month’s #pinterestchallenge, click here to sign up => November Pinterest Challenge.
Now let’s see what other things Pinterest inspired! Head over and visit the other hosts to see what they crafted, cooked, built or tried!
I’m also joining in #Choctoberfest. #Choctoberfest has an amazing giveaway, be sure to enter on the Welcome to #Choctoberfect 2018 post!
Scroll down to find even more delicious recipes from our #Choctoberfest bloggers!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.