Firefly’s Wife Soup is inspired by the TV show, Firefly, from the episode “War Stories”. At the end of the show, Zoe makes soup for her husband, Wash and he responds “Mmmm, Wife Soup, I must’ve done good”. Zoe is a warrior, and doesn’t spend a lot of time cooking. When we see her make her husband soup it’s a a big deal. It really speaks to how proud she is of his latest actions. In this episode, Wash is put into a very difficult situation with the captain, Mal, and the team comes to their rescue. Watch the episode to get the whole story, it’s a good one that I don’t want to spoil. I highly recommend watching the entire series. It is full of humor, adventure, mystery and fun.
The soup that Zoe brings Wash is green. We know from watching the show that they don’t have a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. We also hear in the first episode from Book that you can make anything taste good with enough spices. I took that to mean herbs as well. This soup uses potatoes, which last a long time and would be a good staple on a space ship, and watercress to add flavor and color.
Firefly’s Wife Soup Recipe
- 7 oz. watercress
- 3 medium potatoes, baked, peeled and diced
- 3 ¼ cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 slice onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp oil
- Salt, as desired
- Pepper, as desired
- In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and celery for about one minute.
- Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and watercress and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture.
- Place the liquid in a blender and blitz until it is a smooth and creamy soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
Pin for later!
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.