For this month’s Theme of the Month Menu inspired by Firefly, I decided to make River’s Ice Planet for the dessert. In the episode “The Message” we see River attempting to eat a white ball of something hanging from a string. She proclaims “My food is problematic” to which Jayne responds “Girl is a mind reading genius, can’t even figure out how to eat an Ice Planet.”. I decided given the look of the food and that it’s name is Ice Planet that I would create an ice cream dessert.
The dessert has just two ingredients, but is a little tricky to make. First, get a good quality ice cream you enjoy, I used a french vanilla. I decided on a store bought ice cream as opposed to homemade as I feel store bought stays a bit more firm, where homemade melts very quickly. Form the ice cream balls. I used an spherical ice mold (Death Star) that we’d used from a Star Wars party. Be sure to place the string between the two halves before pressing together. Be sure to get a food safe string since you will be eating these off of the string itself. Put the balls back into the freezer and let them re-harden, best practice is letting them stay overnight.
Next you will melt white chocolate for dipping. I used the Wilton Candy Melts Melting Pot but this can be done over the stove top or in the microwave instead. Once the white chocolate is melted, remove the from from the ice cream ball and using the string, dip into the chocolate. Using a spoon, cover the entire ice cream ball. Work quickly so the ice cream doesn’t melt much. As soon as it’s covered, put it back into the freezer. It’s best if the white chocolate isn’t perfectly smooth as you can see that River’s Ice Planet has an imperfect surface. Once your white chocolate has hardened, tie your string to a skewer or other wood stick and these are ready to eat. Again, it’s best to give them a few hours so your ice cream is nice and firm.
I did find that eating the ice planet from the string is “problematic”. Placing it in a bowl and breaking the white chocolate covering was the best way to enjoy this treat, and it is yummy! I hope you will give River’s Ice Planet a try!
River’s Ice Planet Recipe
- Ice Cream of your choice, I used French Vanilla
- White Chocolate for melting
- food safe string
- skewers or other sticks
- Using good quality ice cream form the ice cream balls. You can do this using a mold or free form with ice cream scoop. Be sure to place the string between the two halves before pressing together.
- Put the ice cream balls back into the freezer and let them re-harden overnight.
- Melt white chocolate for dipping (using stove top, microwave or melting pot)
- Remove the ice cream balls from the mold and using the string, dip the ice cream balls into the white chocolate. Using a spoon, cover the entire ice cream ball. Work quickly so the ice cream doesn't melt much.
- As soon as it's covered, put the ice cream ball back into the freezer.
- Repeat with remaining ice cream balls.
- Keep in the freezer at least 2 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, tie your string to a skewer or other wood stick and these are ready to eat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
Pin for later!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.