Favorite Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies are a family favorite! I’ve been making these cookies my entire life, starting with my mom and grandmother when I was very young. We’ve continued the tradition with our kids as well and I hope it’s a recipe they want to make with their children someday.
We make these cookies many times every year. These get created for most holidays and special events. We have a big collection of cookie cutters so we can make a big variety of shapes.
Favorite Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening, not butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Cream shortening and sugar well. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually blend in dry ingredients which have been sifted together.
- Chill dough at least 3 hours but best if chilled over night.
- Roll to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured pastry canvas.
- Cut cookies with floured cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.