Eton Mess – A Harry Potter inspired recipe
When I saw the pictures of the special menu items we got a “sneak peak” for earlier this month from Universal Studios Hollywood Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I couldn’t wait to try the Eton Mess. This recipe reminds me of strawberry shortcake but without the cake and is a wonderful light summer dessert.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 12 ready made meringues (about 2 cups broken)
- 3¼ cup whipping cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups strawberries
- Wash strawberries and remove stems, cut into pieces.
- Combine strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a blender and blend until combined.
- Place strawberry mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium to medium-low heat.
- Add cornstarch at start of cooking and stir constantly until completely combined into the mixture.
- Keep stirring over the heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Wash strawberries and remove stems. Cut into pieces. Reserve about five whole for top.
- Break meringues into bite size pieces.
- Whip cream and powdered sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Fold in strawberries and broken meringue pieces.
- Stir in ½ cup strawberry sauce.
- In serving dish, add whole strawberries on top and a fresh mint sprig if desired.
- Serve immediately in order to keep meringue crunchy. Add additional strawberry sauce to each serving if desired.
Additional Harry Potter inspired recipes