When I saw the pictures of the special menu items we got a “sneak peak” for earlier this month from Universal Studios Hollywood Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I couldn’t wait to try the Eton Mess. This recipe reminds me of strawberry shortcake but without the cake and is a wonderful light summer dessert. The dessert is made with meringues, whipping cream and strawberry sauce. It’s easy to pull together when using store bought meringues.
Eton Mess Recipe
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tbsp. cornstarch
- 12 ready made meringues (about 2 cups broken)
- 3¼ cup whipping cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups strawberries
- Wash strawberries and remove stems, cut into pieces.
- Combine strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a blender and blend until combined.
- Place strawberry mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium to medium-low heat.
- Add cornstarch at start of cooking and stir constantly until completely combined into the mixture.
- Keep stirring over the heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Wash strawberries and remove stems. Cut into pieces. Reserve about five whole for top.
- Break meringues into bite size pieces.
- Whip cream and powdered sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Fold in strawberries and broken meringue pieces.
- Stir in ½ cup strawberry sauce.
- In serving dish, add whole strawberries on top and a fresh mint sprig if desired.
- Serve immediately in order to keep meringue crunchy. Add additional strawberry sauce to each serving if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 48gProtein: 4g
Pin for later!
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.