We’ve always wanted to try more French recipes and Croque Monsieur was near the top of the list. My son has taken three years of French in high school and often he would have assignments to bring in French food to class. Something like this sandwich would have been very difficult to do ahead. We were inspired by the Be Our Guest menu to give this a try and add it to our weekly meal plan. This sandwich is for you if you are a fan of grilled, melted cheese!
Croque Monsieur Recipe
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz deli ham slices
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk hot
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Dijon style mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat, add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, ½ cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.
- To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.
- Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.
Inspired by Walt Disney World's Be Our Guest.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Small
Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
Pin for later!
Sign Up For Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.