While visiting Disneyland, we find we want to have filling meals so that we are not stopping for food as often and Creamy Corn Chowder does the job well. This helps us have more time for rides and attractions but also helps save a little money while still enjoying the yummy food and atmosphere in the park. This is one of those wonderful options that really leaves you feeling satisfied. You can choose how much pepper you add to give it the extra kick and “down south” authenticity. We found our kids wanted it a little less spicy but my husband and I enjoyed the little kick of this recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links.
This recipe is inspired by Disneyland’s French Market Creamy Corn Chowder. The chowder there is served in a sourdough bread bowl. We really enjoy this not only as it is super yummy but it’s also very filling. French Market is a quick service dining option where you move through a line and get your food options as you go, pay at the end, and then enjoy your meal at the tables under the shade covers. You can enjoy the New Orleans music, sights and sounds of the Rivers of America and gauge how long the line is for beignets after your meal!
Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 cup milk
- 2 cans corn
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red pepper
- 1 cup russet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 2 small potatoes)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 sourdough bread boule
- Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon reserving drippings in pan. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook onion in drippings over medium high heat stirring constantly 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in corn, potato and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 1½ cups milk, sugar, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Add red pepper and increase black pepper for a spicier dish.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining ½ cup milk, stirring until smooth gradually add to corn mixture, stirring constantly. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
- Top each serving with crumbled bacon.
Inspired by Disneyland's French Market.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g
Pin for later!
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.