Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
This month’s Food ‘n Flix Club movie is Love Actually hosted by Eliot’s Eats. I made Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. The Prime Minister, played by Hugh Grant, wants a chocolate tea biscuit, not the boring plain ones. I reviewed quite a few traditional British tea biscuits and found that a sandwich cookie would fit right in to this category. These cookies have an almost brownie quality that makes them moist and rich. That combined with the vanilla buttercream center will remind you of a store bought cookie that we all loved as a child.
*This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This recipe was inspired by the scene in the movie where the Prime Minister is holding a meeting and asks
Right, now, who do you have to screw around here to get a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit? Right.
Prime Minister, Love Actually, 2003
I find Hugh Grant’s character in this movie to be very likable and funny. I absolutely love his dance scene, it makes me laugh every time.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 4 tbsp milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter and water in heavy 3 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips and cook, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth; about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time, until mixture is smooth. Stir in all remaining cookie ingredients.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until set. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- Combine all filling ingredients except milk in mixer bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often and gradually adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons frosting onto flat-side of one cookie; top with second cookie, flat-side down. Squeeze together gently. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Recipe from Land o Lakes
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.