Fantastical Food Fight issued a challenge to make a meal in 30 minutes. I was in the mood for pasta so I turned to Disney’s California Adventure’s Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta’s menu for ideas. I decided if I were in the park, I would order the Chicken Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta as it sounded fantastic. This is what inspired my recipe and it IS FANTASTIC!
This recipe is made with Campanelle Pasta tossed with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Cream. I added fried chicken for a bit of protein. This is a quick meal that requires a bit of multi tasking. I put the pasta on to cook, then started frying the chicken and last got the sauce going. With this approach, everything finishes at once and dinner is served. My family loved this dish, truly something that is difficult in my house as we have picky eaters. We ate most of it for dinner and there was just enough left over for my husband to take to work the next day for lunch.
Fantastical Food Fight
30-Minute Meals Food Fight
I’m joining the Fantastical Food Fight 30 minute meals challenge with other bloggers to share our creations that can be made in 30 minutes. If you would be interested in joining us for future food fights, you can visit this page for more information.
When the challenge was announced, I really wanted to come up with a delicious dinner meal that could be made in 30 minutes inspired by a dish from Disney. We enjoy getting that small taste of Disney at home when we are not able to be there in person.
Chicken Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb. Campanelle pasta
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bit size pieces
- 6.25 oz. sun dried tomato pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. Mascarpone cream
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- fresh parsley, if desired
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. While the pasta is boiling, fry the chicken in a saucepan. Use salt and pepper to season as desired. When chicken is cooked completely through and is browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sun dried tomato pesto sauce and heavy cream. When combined, add the mascarpone cheese and stir until melted and well combined. Add in the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Let the sauce simmer for about 15 minute over low heat, until the sauce has thickened. Use the pasta liquid as needed to thin the sauce.
- When pasta is ready, drain from the liquid. Spoon a portion onto your dish, add chicken pieces on top and then spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 564mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 24g
Pin for later!
Other Food Fights!
See other recipes have been done for past Food Fights.
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.