Candy Cane Bread Sticks
This month’s Food ‘n Flix Challenge is the movie Clueless. It was fun to re-watch this movie while looking for food clues to inspire my recipe. There was only one Christmas scene in the movie and it was a party where the outside of the house was decorated with giant candy canes. I used this as my inspiration for Candy Cane Bread Sticks.
I adjusted this recipes multiple times until they came out just perfect. These bread sticks are soft, cheesy, with a hint of pepper and goes well with the Holiday Spinach Pecan Salad (my second recipe inspired by Clueless). These are really easy to make. I used the KitchenAid Stand Mixer with the dough hook attachment and let it knead the dough for ten minutes. The result was just right. From there you roll out the dough into a rectangle, sprinkle with the filling and then cut into strips. To get the twist and candy cane effect, hold both ends of the strip of dough and twist in opposite directions until it is in a spiral. Then shape the dough into a candy cane when you place it on the cooking sheet. If you like your bread sticks on the softer side, use the lower time setting. If you like them crunchy, leave them in a bit longer.
Food ‘n Flix Club
Clueless is a fun movie from the 90’s full of “trendy” fashion from the time and catch phrases such as “As If” or “Whatever”. It makes me giggle to watch and ultimately, we do actually like the characters who at first seem incredibly shallow. It’s a classic love story in that the last person the main character thought she would be interested in turns out to be a perfect match. I encourage you to watch the movie if you like romantic comedies. It is based on Jane Austen’s Emma.
If you don’t have time to join us this month, but would like to start up in the new year, pick up a copy of Wreck It Ralph since that is January’s flick pick as chosen by our next hostess, Amy at Amy’s Cooking Adventures.
I am also sharing this with the Fandom Foodies #JaneAustenBites link-up, right here at All Roads Lead to the Kitchen!
Candy Cane Bread Sticks Recipe
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing over the dough
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Combine all of the dough ingredients and by hand, mixer or bread machine, mix to form a shaggy dough.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough a few times until smooth. Roll the dough, on a lightly oiled work surface, into a 10" x 18" rectangle.
- Brush the rectangle with water and sprinkle with Parmesan and coarse salt.
- Cut the dough into strips 1/3" wide, 10" long, shaping each strip into a twist by rolling the ends in opposite directions and bending into candy cane shape.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheets. Let the candy cane twists rise, covered, for about 30 minutes, until they look slightly puffy. They won't rise a lot, just a little.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F towards the end of the rise time.
- Brush the bread sticks with olive oil.
- Bake the bread sticks in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Store for up to 2 days, well-wrapped at room temperature, or freeze for up to a month.
Adapted From King Arthur Flour
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.