Our scone dish at the Butchart Gardens Tea was Candied Ginger Scones. These were a nice start to the tea menu and had a very mild ginger taste. The scones we had at the tea had powdered sugar sprinkled on top. I chose the raw sugar as we really liked it with the candied ginger. Be sure to chop the ginger up well and get it mixed into the scones and evenly distributed or you might end up with a large piece of ginger in one bite. Serve with Devon style cream and jam.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links.
Candied Ginger Scones Butchart Gardens Recipe
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1⅛ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. candied ginger, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce (sweetened is okay)
- raw sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and ground ginger. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the candied ginger until evenly mixed.
- Combine milk and applesauce. Add to flour mixture and stir with fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times, until flour is combined.
- Roll until about ½ inch thick. Using cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut scones into circles. Transfer to the baking sheet, spacing at least an inch apart.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Cool completely. Sprinkle with raw sugar or powdered sugar and serve
- To store, allow first to cool to room temperature, then seal in a freezer bag
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Pin for later!
More from Butchart Gardens!
- Trip Report Butchart Gardens
- Butchart Gardens Devon Style Cream
- Butchart Gardens Cucumber Tea Sandwich
- Butchart Gardens Sausage Wraps
- Butchart Gardens Spinach Swiss Quiche
- Butchart Gardens Lemon Tart
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.