Cafe Orleans Monte Cristo Sandwich
We order the Monte Cristo every time we visit Disneyland, it’s our favorite. Plus this is a huge serving, so it is easy to share so you have room to eat those fabulous Pommes Frites and Mickey Mouse Beignets. Cafe Orleans is one of our favorite restaurants. We love to sit outside on the patio and listen to the Dixieland music, watch the Mark Twain, the Columbia and the canoes, if they are running and listen to all the people having such a wonderful time. It is relaxing and truly makes you feel you are at the happiest place on earth.
The Monte Cristo is not to be missed. They have two versions. One is with ham, turkey and cheese. The other is a three cheese option. We’ve had both and the version with the ham is our favorite. I personally love it with the berry puree. Surprisingly, the flavor of the berry puree is wonderful with the meat and cheese. This sandwich feels like a cross between a club and french toast. I share this with my son as I usually eat one fourth and he finishes the rest. I highly recommend this dish. Our at home version was delicious. We learned that even at home one full sandwich (two halves) is too much for some of us, and that will save time with the frying as you don’t have to make as many sandwiches to feed the whole group.
Monte Cristo Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 slices bread, sliced ½-inch thick
- 8 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices turkey
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 3 cups canola oil
- Confectioners sugar
- Blackberry preserves
- Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside. Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl. On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Heat oil to between 365 degrees F and 375 degrees F in a 10-inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down. Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil. Repeat with the other sandwich half. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the other three sandwiches.
- Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.
Recipe is adapted from D23.
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.