A very traditional sandwich to have at tea is a Cucumber Tea Sandwich. Typically cucumber sandwiches are fairly plain. At Butchart Gardens, they served a Cucumber and Dill Tea Sandwich. My recreation combines these flavors and has an onion marinade that makes these sandwiches delicious and anything but plain. You can cut them into finger sandwiches or shapes, it’s really up to you. I chose triangles for our Butchart Gardens inspired tea at home. This is a light and refreshing sandwich and balances nicely with the warm Sausage Wraps and the mini Spinach and Swiss Quiche.
You will want to allow time for your cucumbers to soak up the onion marinade to make sure you get all those wonderful flavors in the sandwich. I recommend making the ingredients for the sandwich the day before and then assemble them just before your guests arrive. This is a time saving tip as well when trying to pull together an entire tea. So many individual recipes can be a bit challenging so best to make as much ahead as you can.
Cucumber Tea Sandwich Recipe
- ½ tbsp. red onion, minced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2½ oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp chives, minced (maybe a bit more)
- 1 tsp dill, minced (maybe a bit more)
- 1 tbsp. heavy cream
- Pinch black pepper, to taste
- Pinch Salt, to taste
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- ½ medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- Combine the onion marinade in a bowl and marinate at room temperate for at least 30 minutes.
- Blend the cream cheese, chives and dill. Add the heavy cream gradually, using just enough to get a smooth spreading consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel the cucumber and slice very thin.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on all 8 bread slices.
- Evenly divide the cucumber slices among 4 of the bread slices and lay them evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture, overlapping them slightly. Top with the red onion mixture. Top each sandwich with the remaining slices of bread. Trim the crusts and cut into half in a triangle and serve.
- Sandwiches can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours. Makes 8 servings of ½ sandwich each.
Adapted from CIA Breakfasts and Brunches Cookbook
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Pin for later!
More from Butchart Gardens!
- Trip Report Butchart Gardens
- Candied Ginger Scones Butchart Gardens
- Butchart Gardens Devon Style Cream
- Butchart Gardens Sausage Wraps
- Butchart Gardens Spinach Swiss Quiche
- Butchart Gardens Lemon Tart
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.