Brioche Buns #BreadBakers
These Brioche Buns are inspired by my son’s favorite hamburger bun. When the #BreadBakers announced this months challenge to bake bread with seeds, I knew I needed to come up with a great Brioche roll that we could make here at home. These turned out so soft and delicious, I know they will be a favorite in our home.
I must admit that I short cut the recipe a little. I did not notice any issue with it, but do plan to try it with refrigerating the dough over night to see if there is a change. I made my dough in the morning, let it rise for an hour and left it in the refrigerator all day until close to dinner time when I pulled them out for shaping and the last rise before baking. We have used these for breakfast sandwiches with egg, sausage and cheese as well as take to work sandwiches. This bread is multi-purpose and fantastic!
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
- Amaranth and Honey Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Brioche Buns from Simply Inspired Meals
- Cheddar Poppy Seed Bread Sticks from Food Lust People Love
- Dinner Rolls With Seeds In Paper Tea Cups from Sneha’s Recipe
- Everything Sourdough Bagels from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Amaranth Crackers from Anybody Can Bake
- Gul Poli-Tilgul Poli – Jaggery and Sesame Seeds Stuffed Indian Flatbread from Cook With Renu
- Nordic Stone Age Bread from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Poppy Seed Rolls from Ambrosia
- Seeded Sourdough Boule from Bread Therapy
- Seeded Turmeric and Leek Levain from A Messy Kitchen
- Sesame Scallion Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Wholewheat Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls from Sizzling Tastebuds
Brioche Buns Recipe
- 2 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp.instant yeast
- 3 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk, white reserved for wash (below)
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 10 tbsp. butter, at cool room temperature
- 1 large egg white (reserved from above) lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- sesame seeds, optional
Put all dough ingredients into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer (or use a bread machine). The dough will be smooth, shiny and a bit sticky. Knead in the stand mixer for 15 to 20 minutes, it's a long knead cycle. Due to the length of time needed to knead, it is not recommended to knead by hand.
When the dough forms a ball, place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rise for one hour.
After the initial rise, refrigerate the covered dough overnight. The next day remove the dough from the refrigerator. Divide the dough into six equal pieces. Shape each into a ball by rolling the dough around on at pastry surface until smooth and rounded. Place on a prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly. Leave 2 to 3 inches between each bun.
Cover the buns, and let them rise until they're quite puffy. This may take as little as 1 to 3 hours. When the buns are raised, preheat the oven to 375°F.
Prepare the egg wash by combing the egg and water together and then brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds,. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 14 to 18 minutes. If they appear to be getting too brown, tent with aluminum foil. Test the buns to ensure they are at least 190°F on a digital thermometer inserted into the center.
Remove the buns from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Small
Premium Professional Bakers Couche - 35"x26", 100% Flax Linen Heavy Duty Proofing Cloth from Tissage Deren of France, with One Bonus Mure & Peyrot Fixed Blade Lame, by BrotformDotCom
Kirkland Signature 587346 Parchment-1pk Non Stick Parchment, 1 Pack, Clear
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet
Sur La Table Batter Bowl with Lid FR9208, Red
KitchenAid Professional 5 Plus Series Stand Mixers - Onyx Black
Pin for later!
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Want to get new recipes from Simply Inspired Meals directly to your email? Subscribe to our newsletter and you will be notified when more recipes are added.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.