For the dessert for this months Hungry Bear menu I created the Blueberry Honey Creme Pie from the Hungry Bear restaurant at Disneyland. This pie is described as having a flaky pie crust with a creamy custard filling, topped with fresh blueberries coated in a honey glaze. The Disneyland version had a white chocolate curl on top.
To make the pie you start by blind baking the pie crust for the individual pies. While they are cooling, prepare the honey cream filling. Pour into the cooled pie crust and bake, then cool completely before the next step. The last step is to prepare the honey glaze and coat the blueberries. Spoon enough onto the top of each pie until all blueberries are gone. Refrigerate until serving.
Blueberry Honey Creme Pie Recipe
Honey Creme Pie
- Refrigerator pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups milk (anything from skim to whole, your choice)
- 1 cup cream (heavy, whipping, light, or half & half, your choice)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground or freshly grated nutmeg
Honey Glazed Blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line eight mini pie dishes with crust.
- Line the chilled crust with foil or parchment paper, and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the crust for 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven, and gently remove the foil or parchment with the weights or beans. Return the crust to the oven for 10 to 15 more minutes, until it's golden brown all over. If the edges of the crust start to become too brown, cover them with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil. Remove the crust from the oven and cool completely while you make the filling.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
Honey Creme Filling
- Scald the milk/cream by combining the milk, cream, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Heat the mixture until small bubbles form around the edges, and steam starts to wisp from the surface.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and honey. Pour 1/4 of the hot milk/cream over the egg mixture, stirring well. Pour the egg mixture into the remaining hot milk/cream, stirring well. Pour the custard through a sieve, to strain out any possible bits of cooked egg. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot filling into the baked, cooled crust. Sprinkle the nutmeg evenly over the top. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
- Place the pie onto your oven's middle rack and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the custard is set at the edges but still a bit wobbly in the center. The temperature of the pie at the center should be between 170°F and 180°F.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool.
Honey Glazed Blueberries
- Rinse and dry the blueberries.
- In a medium saucepan add water, honey, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook until the sugar has dissolved. Cool slightly and pour over blueberries.
- Refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for several days.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 7g
Pin for later!
See our other Disneyland inspired recipes.
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.