For my Star Wars Dinner Club menu, I wanted to come up with an appetizer for the party and decided on Bantha Steak Empanadas. In searching for inspiration, I came across these empanadas included in the Star Wars Day at Sea menu on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship. They looked delicious and this version we came up with really are yummy! My son loves all things pie and he couldn’t get enough of these. My husband also couldn’t stop going back for more. We will definitely be making these again. The recipe uses refrigerator pizza dough, which makes for a faster version of this recipe however we found that re-rolling the dough to get the full amount called for in the recipe and to use all the dough, it required quite a bit of strength as the dough wanted to keep bouncing back to it’s original shape. We will likely make homemade pizza dough the next time we make these to avoid that challenge. I hope you will enjoy these little hand pies!
Bantha Steak Empanadas Recipe
- 2 lb. Tri Tip diced in ⅛" pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz. canned green chili
- ¼ cup flat leaf Italian parsley chopped
- 2 tubes refrigerator pizza dough
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour for work surface
- In a large sauté pan sear beef in a single layer with olive oil on medium high heat. Sear in batches to avoid steaming, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add butter and onion to pan; simmer for 3 minutes until onions become transparent. Add garlic, cumin, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine beef with onion mixture. Stir in green chilies and parsley. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 2 large rectangles; dust with flour as needed. Cut eight 4-inch circles from each half.
- Put ⅓ cup of empanada mixture in each half-circle. Use water on the edge as needed to seal. Line empanadas on a sheet tray. Bake approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
Adapted from Certified Angus Beef.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 3
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 41g
Pin for later!
Sign up for the best recipes and menus!
By clicking subscribe, you agree to share your email address with the site owner and Mailchimp to receive marketing, updates, and other emails from the site owner. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt out at any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.