Apple Crisp Baked Oatmeal
This month’s #ImprovCookingChallenge is to use oatmeal and honey in a recipe. Apple Crisp is one of my favorite desserts and I really wanted to turn it into a healthy oatmeal breakfast option. I thought this challenge was the perfect opportunity for me to experiment and come up with a recipe. I decided on Apple Crisp Baked Oatmeal. I adore Apple Crisp, but it’s a bit sinful for regular consumption, so I wanted to come up with something that had that flavor but a bit more healthy. Since Apple Crisp has oatmeal, and apples go wonderfully with honey, this seemed perfect.
Pin for later!Yum
Apple Crisp Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 large apples, chopped
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the flour, oats and sugar for the topping, Cut in the butter with a knife or pastry blender until crumbly. Set aside.
- Combine apples, lemon juice, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, in a large bowl.
- Combine milk, honey, oil, vanilla extract and eggs in a bowl, mixing to combine. Pour into the large bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie plate and bake on a cookie sheet (to catch any spills) for 15 minutes. Spoon topping onto the apple mixture and return to the oven for another 30 minutes. If needed, cover with foil for the last 5 minutes if the top is getting too dark.
- Cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Adapted from general Quaker Oats baked oatmeal recipes and our Apple Crisp recipe.
The #ImprovCookingChallenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned to a month. Bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it features the two ingredients. If you are a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page. You can also read more about the event on Cookaholic Wife challenge home page. If you’d like to see previous creations, check out our Pinterest board.
- Honey Oat Pan Rolls – Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Peanut Butter & Honey Oatmeal Cookies – Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Apple Crisp Baked Oatmeal – Simply Inspired Meals
- Oats & Honey Porridge – Sneha’s Recipe
- Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Oil Free & Egg-Less Granola – Cook with Renu
- Anzac Biscuits – Pandemonium Noshery
- Apple & Honey Overnight Oats – Kate’s Recipe Box
- Honey Oatmeal Pancakes – Palatable Pastime
- Sugarfree Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins – Sizzling Tastebuds
- Honey Oat Smoothie – A Day in the Life on a Farm
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales made through those links. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.