Potato Soup is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. This is also a quick weeknight dinner using ingredients we usually have on hand. This is a favorite for us to order at the Carnation Cafe when visiting Disneyland. We try to plan for two meals in the park so we can maximize our time available for the attractions and with this as one of our meals, we feel full and satisfied and not looking to snack between meals.
- 1 lb bacon roughly chopped
- 1 slice yellow onion diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- ¾ cup celery diced
- 4 large russet potatoes baked, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese optional, shredded for topping
- ½ cup Monterrey jack cheese optional, shredded for topping
- ½ cup sour cream optional, for topping
- ½ cup chives optional, chopped for topping
- In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency. Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Inspired by Disneyland's Carnation Cafe. Adapted from Disney Parks Blog.
Adapted from Disney Parks Blog.