I really love scones and thought it would be fun to make some in the shape of BB-8. I used a large cookie scoop to make the bottom circle and then a small cookie scoop for his head. I cut those and shaped them to fit on top and not lose the circular shape. I used his orange paint as inspiration for orange flavor.
I used a little glaze to accent his circles and designs. They are not perfect, but they are delicious and I think get the theme across. I think these are a great way to start of the celebration for Star Wars Day… and May the 4th Be With You!
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- zest from one orange
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Stir together milk and vinegar; set aside.
- Stir together butter and ½ cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Combine flour and next three ingredients; stir into butter mixture alternating with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add orange zest and stir until well distributed.
- Using large cookie scoop, scoop one circle of batter onto cookie sheet. Using small cookie scoop, scoop a small circle out, cut about ¾ from bottom and set on top of the large circle of batter to make BB-8's head.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden.
- While scones are cooling, mix the confectioner's sugar and orange juice together. Add more of either until you get a thick consistency that can hold it's shape when put onto the scone.
- When the scones are cool, pipe the glaze onto the scones to resemble the shapes on BB-8.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Southern Living Our Readers Top Rated Recipe book